Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eggs in Purgatory Sandwich


So I have recently fallen head over heels in love with this recipe. It's unbearably easy and so delicious and satisfying. What is it? four ingredients or something. Most of which I always have in my fridge. Basically it is a quick tomato sauce that you cook eggs in, put them on a piece of bread and already it's done. I tried to explain to my boyfriend the concept of an open-faced sandwich and he still doesn't really buy it. I guess he's right, I mean whats the difference between and open-faced sandwich and just toast? but I stand by this as a sandwich and an awesome one at that. And should my boyfriend have any more comments on the subject I will stop feeding these to him and he will cry. Of course, because I'm cool I made some sauteed spinach to go on top. recipe after the break (click read more!)

 
 This is the super easy tomato sauce I mentioned earlier. It requires tomato puree which is absolutely impossible to find anywhere! when I do find it, it comes in the giant cans so be prepared with another recipe that calls for tomato puree or to make this recipe more than once which is what I always do. It's really that good!
 
I had some help from my boyfriend cracking the eggs into the pot so I could take pictures but it's still really easy. The only problem is making sure that they maintain a safe distance away from the other eggs. It's more difficult to get an egg to go exactly where you want it to go. 

Then you cover the eggs and wait patiently for about five minutes until they are cooked to perfection.

This is what perfection looks like if you were wondering.

The egg white is fully cooked but the yolk is still runny and makes a nice little sauce for the rest of the sandwich. Well I can't take all of the credit for this one, I got the recipe from smitten kitchen but you can just look at my recipe right here!

What you'll need:
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
14 oz tomato puree
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
4 eggs
4 slices of rustic bread toasted

1. Heat up the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until lightly browned. Then very carefully add the tomato puree, it will splash everywhere and boil so watch out and immediately reduce the sauce to a simmer. Add your salt, sugar and pepper and then let the sauce simmer on low heat for twenty minutes.

2. Very carefully crack the eggs into the pot and try to keep them as separate as possible.Basically place one in each corner of the pan. Place the lid on the pot and let the eggs cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. When the 5 minutes are up and the eggs are cooked, use a spatula or something to lift them out one at a time and place them onto the bread. If you want, top with cheese or cooked spinach.

that's literally it. 2 steps. amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...