Thursday, July 1, 2010

Asparagus and goat cheese quiche

O asparagus, I love you but I simply can't eat you plain. I wish that I could just steam you and enjoy you but I simply can't. But no fear! Cut up, you work so well in so many recipes that I forget about how I don't like you plain.
I've made this recipe before and I constantly like it. The first quiche I've ever really liked in fact. According to the Rachael Ray magazine, this is healthier than a normal quiche but you wouldn't know it from the taste. The healthy elements includea whole wheat tortilla crust and some greek yogurt mixed in with the eggs. The yogurt, despite being one of the healthy elements, makes the eggs super creamy and I think I may actually prefer the tortilla crust to a traditional pie crust. I could never get over using the same pie crust I would fill with apples and cherries to fill with savory onions and eggs. But beyond that, it tastes delicious and is quite crunchy and nice. Fill that crust with some great vegetables and eggs and you have a great brunch or breakfast quiche. serve with some mimosas, some fresh fruit and maybe some of those carrot muffins from earlier and tada! brunch! so click read more to read more of course!

Here is a picture of the finished product. It looks pretty awesome right? I especially love quiches when there are thin slices of tomato on top. I love the way they cook in just like on pizza or foccacia or something so I added some even though the original recipe didn't call for them.
Start with chopping up half of an onion, I used vidalia because that is my favorite onion and it tends to be milder but it still had me crying like crazy by the time I was done.
Then use this neat trick to cut up the asparagus. I learned it on the food network that you are supposed to bend the asparagus with one end in each hand and where the stalk naturally breaks is where you should cut it off.
Boil the asparagus in a skillet quickly and you can reuse this same skillet to saute the vegetables up. How green! in more ways than one...
Sautee the onions, mushrooms and asparagus all together and this vegetable mixture will be the base of the quiche. It's a quick sautee so everything still looks fresh and awesome. I was tempted to just eat it straight like this.
but instead I added this egg and yogurt blend. It gets so creamy! which naturally, when cooked, yields a similarly creamy result.
Well as I said, I got this recipe from the Rachael Ray magazine. You can find the original recipe here but I personally prefer the changes I've made to it which means less tortillas, a vidalia onion instead of a red onion, feta cheese as opposed to plain goat cheese and some sliced tomatoes on top. You can find that recipe here:

4 whole wheat tortillas
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 vidalia onion diced
10-20 stalks asparagus chopped into 1 inch pieces
4oz sliced porcini mushrooms
1 sliced roma tomato (optional)
4oz crumbled feta
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3 eggs
salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a nine inch pie plate and arrange the four tortillas to form a crust. They should come up over the edge. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and eggs. Set aside.

2. Fill a skillet 1/3 of the way with water and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus, boil for a minute, then drain and set aside. Clean out that skillet and then put in the olive oil. When heated, add onions and cook for about a minute then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the asparagus and add some salt and pepper.

3. Spoon the sauteed vegetables onto the tortilla crust. Top with feta cheese and then top that with the eggs. Gently place the tomatoes on top of the eggs and then carefully move to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set and ever so slightly golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...