Sunday, June 27, 2010

Carrot Muffins

I am by no means obsessed with carrots but I did have to buy a lot for my last recipe (it was cheaper!) and so I was looking for ways to use them all up. Lo and Behold I found a recipe for carrot muffins! I'm a big fan of carrot muffins when I see them anywhere else. I also had to distract myself from a very upsetting World Cup game and nothing heals the wounds of soccer-related disappointment like baking. I'm a big fan of these muffins and I enjoy telling myself that they are relatively healthy and still tasty. Of course, I'm a big fan of muffins in general... and other deliciously portable food.


The final result. I like the look of the carrot shreds inside.
A mixture of flours, sugar and a plethora of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. The spices definitely make these muffins.
On second thought, maybe it's the carrots that make these muffins. Once again I had trouble grating these. It's terrible! they spray everywhere if I try to go fast. And they're so hard! I need to go back to grating zucchini and other soft produce items.
Because I always end up grating my thumb. Notice the carrot all over my thumb too. That stuff has a mind of its own!
You will need three bowls filled with three different mixtures. The traditional flour mixture, the yogurt and the carrots.
But it's totally worth it! I think they look awesome!
Here is the original recipe I adapted this from. Martha Stewart is quite a G and I'm always tempted to make her recipes. I of course changed a few things to my liking so here is what I did.

1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt
4 tbsp melted butter
1 egg
2 cups grated carrots
2 tbsp sugar (optional)

1. preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan by either placing in muffin liners or greasing the pan. In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt).

2. In a separate bowl mix the melted butter, yogurt, and egg together. If you just melted the butter, make sure to add it slowly to the egg and yogurt so the egg doesn't scramble.

3. Make a small well in the flour mixture and then pour the yogurt mixture in. stir until the ingredients are just incorporated because overmixing is the death of muffins. Then add the carrots, I just used my hands for this part and it was so much easier.

4. Divide the muffin batter among the 12 muffin cups. Top each with a little bit of the extra sugar and then put in the oven for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. You know the drill.

Things I would have done differently: I had to use Greek yogurt because that was what I had on hand but I think regular yogurt would definitely work better. I also think that a vanilla or honey flavored yogurt would be really good. And of course, I don't know why I didn't, but nuts and raisins are always appreciated in carrot muffins. I wouldn't do a frosting with these because I think the sugar is enough and I love the muffin top the way it is. It's slightly more crunchy than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...