Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Carrot Haydari

Well the plan for today was to make homemade pickles. I've been eying a few good recipes and I was super tempted. Unfortunately I could not find pickling cucumbers anywhere in Denver! I tried whole foods, Sunflower farmers market and King soopers but to no avail. Sad times. Well I had a meeting with Big Brothers Big Sisters at 5:45 (wish me luck, I want a little!) so I wanted to pull together a quick, light dinner that was not cheese and pickles and crackers. I have had this recipe saved in my bookmarks for a while I decided to finally try it. It is a turkish haydari with carrots. My mom has a Turkish cookbook but it's definitely lacking in the vegetarian options so this is quite exciting. Also, except for the carrots which cost me a hefty 99 cents at the grocery store, I had all of the ingredients already.


The final product with some pita and some carrots sticks too.

You have to grate a lot of carrot which was pretty difficult for me. I got carrot splatter all over my cabinets. It seemed like a lot but it was a good amount once it cooked down.
Here is the carrot cooking with some olive oil, garlic, and of course some trusty salt and pepper.

And of course some trusty corn on the cob to go along with it. A summer favorite for me. Though I recently learned that it is considered a grain instead of a vegetable (but it's in the produce section!) from a bag of chips.
The Original Recipe Here on cooking by the seat of my pants, a great place for fun recipes. but of course I modified it just a tad for my tastes.... mostly by adding a bunch of garlic!

3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 large carrots, grated
1 1/2 cups greek style yogurt
splash of lemon juice (optional)

1. Grate carrots and set aside. Heat up olive oil in a saute pan with salt and pepper on medium high. When heated, add the garlic and cook for about a minute.

2. Add the carrots to the oil and cook... the original recipe says for three minutes, I went for more like 4 or 5. Stir constantly.

3. Remove from heat. In another bowl (I used the same one I grated the carrots in earlier) mix up the yogurt and lemon juice. Add the carrots and stir well until the yogurt turns orange and looks delicious and creamy.

You can serve warm or cool it down. My boyfriend said he didn't like it too much at first but he kept eating it until he proclaimed he loved it and it grew on him. I ate it with with wedges of pita, carrot sticks, and celery sticks. YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...